Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

WSS providers

Asked By: Bob    Date: Apr 30    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 490

Are there any resources that explain what I can and can't do if I use
a third party provider for Sharepoint, versus having it on a server in
house? I am having a hard time figuring out what I should be reading.

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Joanna Dixon     Answered On: Apr 30

Generally you wont be able to install webparts yourself... you wont have access to the 60 or 12 hive either... nor will you have any access to the Central Administrator... The one issue I have is losing some of the control and having to send in a request ticket when i need a change... Other than that.... you usually can still edit your site with Frontpage or SPD with no issues and you have mostly all of the standard functionality that you would have if it were on your own box.

Answer #2    Answered By: Justine Barrera     Answered On: Apr 30

The comment about what you should be reading  threw me… not sure what you mean by that.

But about what you can and can’t do if you use a third party  provider is pretty much dependent on the 3rd party provider  and how much control they allow you. I would assume that you won’t be listed as an admin on the server, so there will be some administrative functions you will be unable to do (like use the STSADM.exe tool, extending virtual servers, etc). You need to find out if they allow you to be an admin on the site (I would assume yes) or if they can place you in the SharePoint administrator’s group on the hosting server. There are also colocation services available where you would have more control. If you have SharePoint in-house, you would have full control.

Answer #3    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: Apr 30

I have admin rights on the site, not the server, as you indicated.
Using Frontpage has been working OK...just OK. One of the things I
find odd (being old school I guess!) is that changes made to the site
(in SP) are live. I support external client sites and its a little
scarey not being able to test/view before releasing changes.

I've been trying to get my company to host SP...without success. They
feel the support (e.g. staff needed) needed to support it will be
expensive...so I get to figure it out myself! I think we'll get there
eventually.

Answer #4    Answered By: Cory Brooks     Answered On: Apr 30

Ever consider setting up a VM for doing frontpage work and mockups before pushing to Production? Removes some of the fear aspects I have found.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on WSS providers Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: