Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

WSS and Outlook 2003

Asked By: Patrick    Date: May 28    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1169

I've read that its possible to synchronize a document library in WSS 3.0 with an Outlook 2007 folder, to allow users to have offline access to the files in that library.

Is it possible to do this with Outlook 2003 and WSS 3.0? I dont want to synchronize calendars or contacts - just pdf sales reports to Sales people in the field, with very limitted network access.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Justin Mckee     Answered On: May 28

It is not possible with Outlook 2003.

Even the Outlook 2007 option requires those users to be able to handle .ost files.

For this reason in my upcoming WSS 3.0 book (Oct 2008) I suggest instead the use of Colligo Reader for users who want to off-line easily see data from a WSS 3.0 site.

Colligo Reader is free - the chargeable product Colligo Contributor (or some such name - I don't work for them!) allows them to update the sites off-line too which shouldn't be necessary.

Colligo is probably at www.colligo.com otherwise search on the name.

The sites look roughly as they do in the real thing.

(Warning: I've not used this myself for looking at the *contents* of documents in document libraries so you'll have to check this aspect but everything else I've tried has worked.

P.S. I should have said to be 100% clear that Colligo Reader is a product which needs to be installed on the Client PC(s). Nothing needs to be installed on the server. Once the initial site copy (where the user can select which lists he wants to see in the off-line copy) has been made, everything else happens through quick synchronization.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on WSS and Outlook 2003 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: