Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

WSS 3.0 - inserting data into custom list

Asked By: Sade    Date: Apr 21    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2463

I'm looking for an elegant way to import records from database, into existing list in sharepoint (which already contains some data).

All SQL Server databases, including the one from sharepoint, share the same server instance - so it's probably very easy to do manual INSERT directly to sharepoint database. I'm not sure if it's best approach tho.

Could you advise me some solutions of appending records into the list?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kristie Hardy     Answered On: Apr 21

There's some nice MS Office integration with Sharepoint. If you have MS Office 2003 or 2007 that might be your best route.

For instance, if you could get your data  out of your database  as comma seperated data and put it into Excel, it'd be easy  to get that into a list  in Sharepoint.

To create a new list you can go to 'Create List' and use 'Import Spreadsheet' under the Custom Lists heading.

For existing  lists, you can open then in Excel and append data (then save them back to Sharepoint.) I did a few screenshots of that technique here;

www.the-north.com/.../Techniques-to-use-when-Variations-Attack!.aspx

I mostly use MOSS rather than WSS, but this advice works for both I believe. Any problems, let me know.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on WSS 3.0 - inserting data into custom list Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: