Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

WSS 3.0 as a CMS vs. open source CMS like Unbraco?

Asked By: Tarang    Date: Mar 09    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1340

Just after some opinions of using Microsoft SharePoint service WSS 3.0 as a Content Management System? So would love to hear from anyone who has used this software as a content management system and his experience in using it, good and bad? My main point of investigation the east of customizing the UI and the deployment
Esp
The east of customizing the UI for none business layout style, like modern, 3D, artworks and WEB 2.0 layout styles?
Did the WSS designed to create public-facing websites and did it require any additional licenses or CALs?
After developed the CMS website is it easy to deploy this website into the customer hosting environment?
(Recommended articles, free themes and templates, comparisons against other CMSs, free or competitive hosting companies, free tools, top read, top 10 searches etc etc)

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kalash Karmakar     Answered On: Mar 09

First of all you need to understand the WSS 3.0 does not provide content  management capabilities, only MOSS 2007 provides content management  capabilities.
Here is the my reply for your questions.

The east of customizing  the UI for none business  layout style, like modern, 3D, artworks and web  2.0 layout  styles?
Of course you can provide rich look and feel for your pages by customizing master pages, page layouts, navigation controls and also developing your own custom style  guides. But there is some effort involved in customizing UI. I'm not sure what sort of 3D UI capablities you are looking for.

Did the WSS designed to create  public-facing websites  and did it require  any additional  licenses or CALs?
Definitely sharepoint  platform is proven and suitable for building internet facing sites. I'm not suring about how the license model works for CALs. You may need to check with the microsoft  partner channel of your organization.

After developed  the CMS website  is it easy  to deploy  this website into the customer  hosting environment?
There is a well defined deployment  proocess (like content deployment) and disaster recovery process for sharepoint platform. You need to plan those in detail during your architecture and design phase.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on WSS 3.0 as a CMS vs. open source CMS like Unbraco? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: