Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Workspace in SPS2001 is what in SPS2003?

Asked By: Brian    Date: Jun 15    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 708

I had made the upgrade from SPS 2001 to SPS 2003 with the option backward-compatible document storage. I’m based in the instructions of Microsoft: www.microsoft.com/.../spst2003.asp

All the procedures run well, but in the end I can’t see the workspace that I have in SPS2001 in the portal of SPS2003.

I see the Topics (Categories in sps2001) in the Portal, but the workspace no.

A strange thing is that when I install de drive M: (by subst command) I see the workspace that I want. But I can’t see in the Portal.

I hope that you can help us.

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Robert Wilson     Answered On: Jun 15

In SPS2003, go SharePoint Portal Server Central Administration, Component Configuration and click Manage document libraries (Web Storage System-based).

Click on the name of the BCDL (backward compatbile document library) you created.

Note: The UI for a BCDL is minimal. The BCDL doesn't include any of the SPS2001 dashboard or dashboard web part technology.

Answer #2    Answered By: Chase Wagner     Answered On: Jun 15

The current upgrade  process leaves your documents in the 2001 DB. When the new tools come out from MS, you'll be able to migrate your information to 2003 from 2001.

Answer #3    Answered By: Terrance Vasquez     Answered On: Jun 15

To clarify, after the upgrade, the documents are left in an upgraded version of the Web Storage System database that is compatible with Windows 2003 Server and SPS 2003. The upgrade  is an "in-place" upgrade. The existing SPS2001 version of the Web Storage System won't run/is not supported on Windows 2003 Server.

If you use categories in SPS2001, you'll need to have run the SPS2003 upgrade process to have the new MS Document Library Migrations (SPOUT/SPIN) tools "do the right thing" with categories. More news on this in a couple weeks.

Answer #4    Answered By: Darrin Massey     Answered On: Jun 15

Thank you for your answer.

But, when I’m going to “Portal Server Central Administration, Component Configuration and click Manage document libraries (Web Storage System-based).” I don’t see the name of the workspace. There aren’t document libraries created.

I suppose that after the upgrade  the document library is created automatically (because the workspace  exists in SPS2001)?

Answer #5    Answered By: Jeffrey King     Answered On: Jun 15

I follow the instructions that Microsoft recommends:

Yes, the steps that I need follow are like you say.

And at the end, the upgrade  runs well. No errors appear during and in the end of the upgrade.

But when I start work in the Portal, I can not see the document library that I utilize in SPS2001.

Answer #6    Answered By: Kendrick Townsend     Answered On: Jun 15

From the HTML administration pages, have you run the Import SPS 2001 Settings (or something like that) to read in the XML manifest files created when Update.exe was run the first time?

Answer #7    Answered By: Jermaine Schmidt     Answered On: Jun 15

Yes, is the last step of the Upgrade.

It’s described in www.microsoft.com/.../spst2003.asp

I can see the Topics in sps2003  (that are categories in SP2001 of the workspace). And I can see the documents of the Topics.

But the workspace  I don’t know where is…

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Workspace in SPS2001 is what in SPS2003? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.