Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Why is the Site Content and Structure interface missing in some MOSS site-collections?

Asked By: Virendra    Date: Feb 05    Category: MOSS    Views: 8222

In my instance of MOSS the "Content and Structure" interface is available on some site collections and missing on others.

I went to this article to find out why but there was no answer: office.microsoft.com/.../HA101317231033.aspx

My experimentation shows that you must enable the 'Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure' feature to enable the 'Content and Structure' interface.

What's more? I have found other odd dependencies on the publishing feature that do not seem to me to be necessarily related to "publishing". My problem there is that I cannot find a list of what all is included in this feature. Or what other features might include the same functionality that I want without the rest of the publishing stuff - whatever that is.

When I propose turning on the feature, savvy site-owners ask, "Well, what else does the feature do? and how will this change my user experience?" I cannot find an authoritative answer.

Another problem here is that the publishing feature, which seems to contain a good portion of functionality, is not activated in new site-collections by default. I am working on a feature stapling solution that I will post on CodePlex when it's ready. Stapling is the only method I know of to make sure publishing feature is active by default in new site-collections.

We are hesitating to take this step because we don't fully understand everything the publishing feature includes.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Cheyenne Lewis     Answered On: Feb 05

even i had the same issue. After googling and going through different blogs i could arrive at a solution  for my problem.

the procedure i followed is as follows:

1) first we need to activate publishing  Resources feature. one could do it manually using stsadm tool. Simply go to cmd prompt and type

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server  Extensions\12\BIN>stsadm -o activatefeature - name PublishingResources -url http://yourwebsite.

as an example

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\BIN>
stsadm -o activatefeature -name PublishingResources -url http://mywebsite:13541/sites/MyHomePage

after a while you will see

operation completed sucessfully.

2)Under site  actions>site settings> under site collection administration site collection features

click activate against Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure .

3)Under Site actions>site settings>under site administration Site Features
click activate against Office Share Point Server publishing.

Now you can see Manage Content and structure  listed in Site Actions.

Tagged: