Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Why is SharePoint versioning not efficient with storage?

Asked By: Bahadur    Date: Apr 11    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 10081

I have a 20mb document in SharePoint. When I change an attribute associated with that document, such as the Title, SharePoint duplicates the entire file... just from one simple attribute change. Why? Why doesn't SharePoint simply point the new record to the previous document version?

We are looking to do a mass update of document attributes in a document library; we will end up with duplication of 100mbs of data. It just seems so wasteful.

Can anyone shed light on why SharePoint is implemented like this?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Xiomara Blanchard     Answered On: Apr 11

It is what is is. I guess it's hard to do right. Your scenario is obvious enough, but MS needs to think through a lot of business scenarios and it can become complex.

Beyond all that, this may be what you need: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms461526.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Rosemarie Cervantes     Answered On: Apr 11

One rational argument for how they have done it is to do with records management. Had your attribute change  routed the record  a different way, perhaps into a folder with a different disposition policy to the base document  content type, you would end  up having a disposition occur on a document to delete it, and another record exisitng that had a dependency upon it. Hence, no delta's in versioning  as they cause issues with ummutable versions.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Why is SharePoint versioning not efficient with storage? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.