Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Webpart timeout problem

Asked By: Bob    Date: Mar 20    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3592

I have a webpart that needs to iterate through 5000 sites and get the documents uploaded within the last seven days. I developed the webpart on a server that has about 50 sites and my webpart worked fine. Since the production site is expected to have around 5000 sites I ran a script that created 1000 sites on my server. After this my webpart started getting timed out. I treid increasing the timeout setting in the web.config from the default value 7000 (7 sec) to 60000(1 minute). It was of no use.
I tried using asynchronous data call (the GetRequiresData, GetData, stuff) but, that was also not of any use for it renders the webpart only after the callback occurs.

i iterate through all the sites under the Virtual server, using SPQuery i get the SPListItems for the documents satisfying the criteria. Whenever i find any document satisfying the criteria I store the details in an ArrayList.

I want to know if there is a better way of doing this or if it is possible to write a windows/web service that will iterate the sites and retrieve information at frequent intervals and cache it.

My webpart will query the service which will return the cached information. Is this a suitable solution for the problem?

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Linda Mason     Answered On: Mar 20

First, don’t do this. It’s never going to perform well. You have too many things that you’re asking the API to do. There are just too many operations.

Second, if you insist on doing it … Use CorasWorks. They’ve spent a lot of time and money dealing with performance issues like this one. They’ve got multi-threaded implementations that help performance (at least some.)

Third, did you see the first point? Seriously, consider restructuring how you do this. If you need to get documents uploaded in the last seven days, consider a service that runs and puts a reference to the documents in a database and have the web part read the database. You are likely going to find that this is the only way to get to sub-second response time.

Answer #2    Answered By: Hans Weiss     Answered On: Mar 20

The Report Pack for SPS could easily be extended to include information about documents. The source code is available: http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/SPSReportPack

Answer #3    Answered By: Alison West     Answered On: Mar 20

What about doing something with SharePoint Search.. Much like the "Recent Documents" on a users MySite. Do a search across all the sites and specify the date.

Answer #4    Answered By: Freddy Heath     Answered On: Mar 20

The webpart  tries to retreive not just documents but also Announcements and Events from the sites.
Yes, I tried convinsing the business guys that sharepoint email alerts is the best way for them to be notified when anyone adds/modifies stuff in the sites. But it came down to "Is it so difficult", "Should we contact Microsoft for support on this" - i did not know if i should laugh or cry for that. So I did a webpart and u guys know the rest of the story.

To solve this problem  I thought of using the Custom Alerts Channel route, but this works only on the Portal and not for the sites (I dont understand why they left out WSS from this feature).

Now to solve the webpart problem, I have implemented a Windows service which iterates through all the sites and gets the info and updates them to a List in the Portal homepage.
I then use good old ListViewWebPart to display the data.

Answer #5    Answered By: Joanna Dixon     Answered On: Mar 20

I would probably write/run a nightly job that crawled the farm via the
API looking for the links that you want to present to the end user. I'd
put those links into a known SharePoint list (add, change, delete
style). Then I'd create a DVWP that simply presents the content of that
list via the Lists.asmx Web Service anywhere the user wanted to drop it.

Alternatively, you could conduct the crawl, asynchronously when the
first page of your SharePoint solution was visited each day generating
the list of links and placing the results into application cache, into
an XML file on the file system or in a document library, or even into
the Web Part's own cache. This way the list would be generated, without
the need for a nightly job, on first use and then stored for all
subsequent uses that day. The following day, the cache would be

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Webpart timeout problem Or get search suggestion and latest updates.