Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Web Part and site Managment

Asked By: Hunter    Date: Nov 02    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 805

I want to have an authorization page to change the permissions on my site, but i'm not understanding how can I do this.

I want that all users enters with read permissions only, and have a page where the administrators can authenticate and then be able to design and modify the contents. I already create the groups and users groups. However I don't know how can I define this page and how this page can do this authentication.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Parijat Pathak     Answered On: Nov 02

SharePoint uses Windows authentication  to authenticate  users, which means that if you assign a user as an 'Owner', SharePoint will automatically give him admin rights when he navigates to the site. Forcing all users  (even Owners and Members) to default to Visitor permissions  when hitting the portal is possible to do I'm sure, but I don't think it's built into SharePoint by default - you'd probably need to write some code and configure SharePoint/IIS differently.

It might be a better idea to go back and look at why you need this functionality, and maybe read  up on some of the benefits that Windows authentication has to offer.

Answer #2    Answered By: Ella Sargent     Answered On: Nov 02

Your solution sounds nice but I found another one simpler i guess. However it is a little bad-programing i guess.

I created a new "managment" aspx file (only administrators  knows that it exists) where it requires authentication  and redirects to the normal site. This redirection enables the "Site actions" button allowing to change/manage the site web  parts.

This is a quite simple resolution and it works fine.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Web Part and site Managment Or get search suggestion and latest updates.