Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Web Custom Control

Asked By: Demarco    Date: May 24    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 821

Has anyone use asp.net custom control (ascx) in the sps/default.aspx
page ?

I want to display a different image (banner) for different Portal Sites
(in the same host), and can not think of any other method !

Anyone has done this before ?

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Alison West     Answered On: May 24

Yes, I do it regularily to the templates but if you start adding templates to the 60 hive, you'll end up with a lot more maintenance.

Answer #2    Answered By: Freddy Heath     Answered On: May 24

Could you please explain ?????????

Answer #3    Answered By: Joanna Dixon     Answered On: May 24

I'm assuming you are talking about the increased maintenance aspect of my comment - if not, let me know.

Requesting a different image  in the banner  for each business unit, say each department in an organization, is a very common request. The problem increases as the number of departments increase because each one will require their own template. Each page is derived from one of 12 out of the box template sets. Each of these templates are designed for a specific use - mainly the type of Web parts that are loaded by default, such as news, social, communications, team sites, etc. Each of these template sets consists of approx 185 files (these are to support all the list types). To add additional template sets to the environment adds another 185 support files - the number can grow quickly. One of my clients actually had 43 different template sets - what a mess to make a change! Using a .ascx file, stored in the root directory of the vs will make maintenance easier, but remember, each template set has to be touched at least one time to add the control.

It might be better, in the long term, to arrive at a higher level grouping for the banners so you can keep additional template sets to a minimum.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Web Custom Control Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: