Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

want to install sharepoint on desktop to show off

Asked By: Gaurang    Date: Feb 11    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 862

I have plenty of access to dev and prod sql servers that are running 2008 DB Engine, RS, AS and IS instances. Nothing except sql client tools installed on my desktop.

I've built a 2008 cube on a dev server and am curious to see how sharepoint and bi come together, perhaps by showing a kpi (or something) on sharepoint, preferably on my desktop. I was told that minimally I'd need to install sharepoint 3.0 on my desktop to interface with the dev 2008 server.

I was told I could download a free copy of sharepoint to my desktop but am not sure if the free version is enough to show off a kpi and/or if it needs other things (sql express?) installed on my desktop first. Can someone point me in the right direction if what I'm doing is just getting started with sharepoint and its interface to SSAS?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Teresa Simpson     Answered On: Feb 11

I spoke with a well respected SSAS expert yesterday who is an MS MVP. He says you cannot display KPIs using only MS products on the free version of Sharepoint.

He says with the Enterprise version of SP (aka MOSS Enterprise, aka the more expensive version of MOSS that isnt free) there are 3 common ways to display KPIs that include Excel Server etc etc. He added that the term MOSS is going away (at least the letter O) in the next release as well as Performance Point Server (not Service which is still required to do MS's PP BI displays like dashboards etc under SP) .

He says that due to licensing cost concerns, his company found another company that sells web parts usable on the free version of Sharepoint. Those webparts can display KPIs and "trigger" (thru actions) rs reports whose parameters are fed to them from the action. I just learned that these objects can actually be hosted anywhere, not just SP.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on want to install sharepoint on desktop to show off Or get search suggestion and latest updates.