Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Visual help

Asked By: Alexandria    Date: Jul 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 616

I just setup a test portal to play with - prior to going live. As I'm not a designer, I'd like to try different templates that I've seen on MS' site. I've already gotten the portal configured (to start with anyway) with my sites, divisions etc the way I'd like them. However, like to take a template and change the logo etc to what I like, but still use the colors etc from the template.

Is this possible?

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Jul 13

OK, several things….

- Are you referring to the free WSS templates  that Microsoft provides for downloading (www.microsoft.com/.../default.mspx)? If so, those templates are only for WSS sites  and can’t be used for a portal  site.

- You can easily change  the logo  used in a portal site  through the portal site settings. (Site Settings / Change Portal Site Properties and SharePoint Site Creation Settings / Custom Portal Site Logo)

- For a fancier solution for updating the logo, refer to my blog post here: www.heathersolomon.com/blog/articles/166.aspx

- In case you were looking at those WSS templates and now want to know how to customize your portal site, you can check this out as well: heathersolomon.com/.../IntroCustomization.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Jul 13

As a newbie - I'm still learning and sites  like yours are what's keeping me up and going.

Yes, I was looking at the WSS template, however, hadn't realized they wouldn't work on Portal. Unfortunately, your quote on your site  "There is not a special tool or application that can do it for you. You basically just get your hands dirty and edit code." says it all... Not that I don't want to learn it, I just though it'd be a bit easier to implement across the whole portal.

Looks like it's time to get dirty... I'm assuming taking it apart part by part is the best way. Additionally, since there are so many parts to so many areas, doesn't this get a bit tedious as well as dangerous?

Answer #3    Answered By: Royce Orr     Answered On: Jul 13

That is why I would highly recommend a development server or use a VirtualPC image for your testing and experimentation.

Updating colors  and the logo  can be done through just updating CSS and images though. You don’t have to delve into pages and pages of code to update that the look and feel of a site.

Those WSS templates, all they did was customize out of the box web parts (lists and libraries) for various functions that go with the template  target audience, and then they customized the site  using FrontPage. You can certainly do that as well, but there are drawbacks to editing a site in FrontPage. Doing so will unghost your page(s). More info in case you are interested: heathersolomon.com/.../resources.aspx#03FP and heathersolomon.com/.../resources.aspx#03Ghost.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Visual help Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: