Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Virus Protection

Asked By: Evelyn    Date: Sep 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 888

What do you all use for your virus protection? Do you use a server product and then have a portal product as well?

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Sep 13

We run real-time virus  scanning on every client. Some admin-type will
have to comment on server  solutions.

Answer #2    Answered By: Emmett Hyde     Answered On: Sep 13

What do you use to do that.................

Answer #3    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Sep 13

It’s a matter of personal choice how much scanning you do.

A defence in depth strategy suggests that you should scan at all points of ingress

Certainly, if you are using sharepoint as an extranet you would definitely want to scan documents on upload – e.g. one person outside your organisation deliberately uploads a virus  infected file (or even mistakenly as they have no on board virus protection) and everyone else then gets to download this virus infected file – not a good position to be in with your partners !

If its just internal, well, the same thing can apply – if you upload an infected document (deliberately) then its inside the database until you can get rid of it and ones got to wonder what happens when your index service “opens” the file to index it – personally I don’t know but you do have to wonder what would happen

Most organisations are happy just to use real time scanning on every client as this will usually defeat deliberate infections being uploaded and most people wont deliberately infect the organisation they work for. However, if you are running an extranet you should give serious thought to scanning at the portal  level

Answer #4    Answered By: Sheena Ray     Answered On: Sep 13

Yes, in fact it does help... In our case, it's pretty much internal however, internal doesn't mean geographically here... So, I can't necessarily control what happens in the other areas...

Answer #5    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Sep 13

I can tell you what happens when you index an infected file.

The SQL Full Text engine writes the file to a directory under \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTDATA and then indexes it and deletes it. If the file is infected your desktop AV will catch it when SQL writes the temp file. Unfortunately the temp file name doesn’t have any way to determine what the real file name is, or which Site Collection it’s in. I *think* you can tell which database it was in, but I can’t remember. I know I have two Word files that have a macro virus  and every time I do a full reindex I get popups from Trend when they get indexed.

Answer #6    Answered By: Anibal Baird     Answered On: Sep 13

so the choice is scan on upload or make sure your index server  has on demand scanning (which will slow indexing down)

Answer #7    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Sep 13

The thing is, the index server’s AV doesn’t remove it from the database when it finds it. It just removes the temp file on the index server’s file system. It does nothing to protect the user, an infected file is still out there. AV software on the index server  is a must (not a choice as I see it) and AV software for your web front ends is an entirely unrelated decision. We currently are not running anything, but only because we haven’t found anything that works for us. I’m trying to remedy that right now.

Answer #8    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Sep 13

We use Trend for the file systems of our IIS servers and SQL server. We exclude
the SQL directories. I am testing Antigen right now for WSS, but I'm having
problems. I didn't respond to this intially because I can't really endorse the
product, but I don't want to taint anyone's view on it, if the problem ends up
being unique to our environment. I can say that if it didn't have the problem
I'm experiencing it wouldn't be bad. It does seem to use a lot of RAM for
manual scans, but that can be worked around.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Virus Protection Or get search suggestion and latest updates.