Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Viewing events as text

Asked By: Alfred    Date: Jun 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 561

I have a WSS site that I've set up to keep track of neighborhood events and other things.

This works well, but I need a way to get the information saved with the event items into a text file that I can send via E-mail to people who subscribe to an E-mail list. I have linked the event list to Outlook and then saved the events as text, but I have to save each event to a separate file and some fields are missing.

I have tried to set up another page with a Data View Web Part to display the current events items in a form that I can then cut and paste to an E-mail message, but I am not sure if this is the way to do it because it hasn't worked properly yet. Perhaps I just haven't found the proper combination of settings.

Does anyone have some idea about how I can best achieve what I want to do?

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Dean Neal     Answered On: Jun 22

I must not understand what you are trying to do. Here is the text  from
the DispForm.aspx page  of an event  in one of my Event lists:

Title: Presentation

Begin: 1/16/2005 11:00 AM

End: 1/17/2005 12:00 AM

Description: Presentation description

How do you want it to look different than this?

Answer #2    Answered By: Vincent Griffin     Answered On: Jun 22

I had been trying to copy the text  from DispForm.aspx for an event  and paste  it in an outgoing Outlook message. A number of fields  where blank or not seen, probably because of colors. I am using white on a blue background on the WSS web  site.

I will try the Microsoft Access Approach.

I noticed that if I paste the cut event info to a Notepad text document, everything shows up properly. So I tried pasting to a blank web page  using FrontPage 2003. This works  even better, because it shows the table structure of the data  and I can easily cut out any cells that I don’t want in the output.

Answer #3    Answered By: Antoine Barker     Answered On: Jun 22

If you have MS Access you can link the list  as a table in an Access database and then create a report against the list. This way you can see all the data fields  and you have a lot of flexibility in how you output the information.

Answer #4    Answered By: George Watson     Answered On: Jun 22

I had not thought of using access. I did a search and found  an article that explains how to connect Sharepoint lists to Access.

Answer #5    Answered By: Gabriel Patterson     Answered On: Jun 22

I frequently use the copy to Notepad and then to my destination to
remove formatting trick. It sounds like you have several options now.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Viewing events as text Or get search suggestion and latest updates.