Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Users getting xml load error messages when accessing portal in browsers

  Asked By: Jena    Date: Sep 15    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1193

I have set up SPS on a test server to evaluate it, and I have made a
number of customizations to the dashboard site, adding quick links,
changing Category names and descriptions from "Category 1", etc. to
more meaningful names, and generally altering some of the colors,
etc.

When I access the portal from the browser on my own pc (which has the
client software installed) I see all these changes just fine.

However, when other folks in the testing group use their browsers to
access the portal (and these people do NOT have the client software
installed), they get the following error message in all the web parts
on the Home dashboard site:
XML load error: invalid XML declaration

On the Categories and Search dashboards they get this error message:
Script exectution error: object required

The only thing that I think is different from my accessing the portal
thru my browser and their accessing the portal is the fact that I
have the client software installed on my pc.

Is the client software a requirement in order for the users to be
able to access the portal via their browsers? Or are these errors due
to something else entirely?

Share: 

 

4 Answers Found

 
Answer #1    Answered By: Janell Camacho     Answered On: Sep 15

Check users  security settings in Internet Explorer (I assume they are using
IE). When you first visit a SPS web  site, the browser  should be downloading
the DSSC, which is a key component of Sharepoint.

Make sure that security policy allows, downloading signed ActiveX components
from your intranet zone.

 
Answer #2    Answered By: Julia Washington     Answered On: Sep 15

I would check in two places. 1. that anonymous or all users  have the right
to execute scripts in the directory.
2. the version of browser  that you have vs the rest.

 
Answer #3    Answered By: Shashwat Takle     Answered On: Sep 15

I had a similar XML error  (mine was "semicolon expected".....). I finally
tracked it down to the old NT 4 NetBIOS domain name someone created with an
ampersand in it (like A&W).

Hope this is not your problem as I had to rebuild all of my servers to
eliminate it.

 
Answer #4    Answered By: Aastha Acharya     Answered On: Sep 15

I've been told (by a Microsoft blessed trainer) not to rename categories,
but to delete them and create new ones with the names  you like.

 




Tagged: