Asked By: Krista    Date: May 01    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1806

We have a group of students who were set up in AD with nothing in the
"Display Name" field for them. Turns out this makes things tricky in SPS
2003 for our teachers who use the survey feature to create quizzes for
students. If the student doesn't have a display name, the teacher can't
tell who submitted the survey/quiz.

We can create a display name for the student in AD, but this doesn't get
reflected in SharePoint. It's as though SP doesn't know that a display
name has been added to the user's account.

Anyone come across this before, and know of a fix?

Share: 

20 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: May 01

Have you chacked that the profile property is mapped correctly, and that the profile import is actually occuring? It should come accross without any issue.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: May 01

We’re very new to SharePoint here. I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean by making sure that the profile property is mapped correctly, and I don’t know what a profile import is.

Answer #3    Answered By: Isidro Berger     Answered On: May 01

Profile properties are user  properties in SharePoint that may, or may not, map to a property in Active Directory.

To access the profile property admin screen, from the Portal, Site Settings -> Manage profile database -> View profile properties. There you will be able to see all the properties that are available, by default, for each user.

To check if the import is actually occuring, Site Settings -> Manage profile database the top section of the page Profile and Import Settings will tell you if it's happening, and other options to configure it.

Answer #4    Answered By: Schuyler Le     Answered On: May 01

I just logged into our site and went to Site Settings, but I don’t have a “Manage profile database” option. Is that something that’s only available on SharePoint Server? We’re just using the freebie SharePoint Services…

Answer #5    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: May 01

I assumed you were talking about Portal.

I'll have to revert to someone that works only with WSS as I've always worked with the full suite.

Answer #6    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: May 01

In that case, go to Site Settings >> View Information About Site Users. Then click on a username, and then click on the Edit button to make changes.

Or, if you are in a sub-site, and not in a top-level site, go to Site Settings >> Go to Site Administration >> Go to Top-Level Site Administration >> View Site Collection user  Information. Then click on a username, and then click on the Edit button to make changes.

Answer #7    Answered By: Willard Valenzuela     Answered On: May 01

Okay, I can see how to do that (thanks for the pointer).

However, I don’t want to have to change their display  name in two places (AD plus SP). If the name  has been changed in Active Directory, shouldn’t that change be reflected in SharePoint automatically? Or is there something manually I need to do to make SP synch up with AD?

Answer #8    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: May 01

When someone is added  to a top-level site, their profile information is brought into SharePoint as it is stored in AD. At that point, there are two copies of the information – one in AD, and one in the SharePoint site. If you create  another top-level site, and you add the user  there, it will create another profile based on what is in AD. So then there are three copies.

Basically, you definitely want to update in AD, because any new top-level sites that you create going forward will have the correct information, which will save you from having to manually re-enter it going forward. But, you will still have to go back and update all the copies that were created for user profiles in already-existing sites.

Answer #9    Answered By: Emmett Hyde     Answered On: May 01

Couldn't you delete the problematic user  profiles and then allow the profile to be re-created?

Answer #10    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: May 01

We had thought about that, but were afraid that SP would then break the link between users  and files they had posted. We weren’t sure if those links would be automatically re-created…

Answer #11    Answered By: Sheena Ray     Answered On: May 01

SUPUserUtil will update the AD attributes in the
SharePoint databases. I've only ever used it in WSS, but it's worth seeing if
it will take care of this too.

Answer #12    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: May 01

I need to add an outside person to be able to view documents on a site on our intranet. They have been set  up with VPN access, but I don't want them to have access to the whole site. Can this be done? If so, how would I go about this? Also, can you set permissions on a document within a document library itself on WSS as to who has read, write, edit and/or delete?

Answer #13    Answered By: Anibal Baird     Answered On: May 01

Go to the Document Library and then Modify Settings and Columns -> Change permissions for this document library. Add your user  there and they will have to use the document library URL to access the site but they will only be able to authenticate to the library - this is what you are looking for?

Answer #14    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: May 01

In WSSv2, Permissions can be set  to the document library but not to contents of the document library.

In WSv3, Permissions can be set at the folder or document level of a document library.

In both versions, you can give access to a document library without giving any rights to the site as long as they have the URL to access the document library without having to drill down through the site itself.

Answer #15    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: May 01

It has been suggested multiple times to the list owners that they have
all new users  default to "moderated" status to prevent this from
happening. Once new users post their first message and it's confirmed
that the message isn't Spam, their status could be changed to
unmoderated.

A number of list members have volunteered to be moderators to assist
with the additional administrative burden this would cause.

I wanted to ask this list owners one last time before unsubscribing...
Will you please reconsider doing this? t.

Answer #16    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: May 01

It has been suggested multiple times to the list owners that they have
all new users  default to "moderated" status to prevent this from
happening. Once new users post their first message and it's confirmed
that the message isn't Spam, their status could be changed to
unmoderated.

A number of list members have volunteered to be moderators to assist
with the additional administrative burden this would cause.

I wanted to ask this list owners one last time before unsubscribing...
Will you please reconsider doing this? An otherwise useful list is being
marred by an ongoing barrage of junk mail, and there's just no reason
for it when Yahoo Groups provides a way to prevent it.

Answer #17    Answered By: Deven Ghurye     Answered On: May 01

When a user  accesses a document Library (where he has permissions) in a site where he does not have access permissions, he will show up as guest on the site while connected to the Document library. This does not change the access permissions of the site for anyone else. Also, Guest can only be given by this process, not manually.

Answer #18    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: May 01

but how can I tell what version we have? We are running Sharepoint Portal Server 2003

Answer #19    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: May 01

SPS2003 runs a-top of WSSv2

WSSv3 is MOSS2007 (Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007)

hope this helps.. I don't know why they make it so darn confusing..

Answer #20    Answered By: Alisha Holmes     Answered On: May 01

How do I run an audit security?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on User Display Names Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: