Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Upgrading Limited My Sites

Asked By: Ahmed    Date: Sep 09    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 587

Is there anyway to upgrade a MySite from a limited version to one with full MySite capabilities? I'd like something more elegant than deleting the current site and recreating it.

Share: 

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Darrel Sexton     Answered On: Sep 09

Could you define "limited version?"
Do you mean non-collaborative, i.e., no site  collection just the mysite  area
pages?

Answer #2    Answered By: Tory Sellers     Answered On: Sep 09

These associates originally belonged in the Readers site  group with "use personal features" enabled. Their new roles in the organization require / allow them to have full  My Sites.

Personal features = alerts, links, etc...

They cannot modify the page, add web parts, work with existing web parts. They do not doclibs.

Answer #3    Answered By: Agustin Miranda     Answered On: Sep 09

Have you enabled personal site  creation in their rights?

Answer #4    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: Sep 09

Yes. The limited  sites were created months ago. We just need to expand them to full  MySite capabilities.

Answer #5    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: Sep 09

The users that you want to have collaborative MySites need to have the "Create Personal Site" right. rather than just "Use Personal Features"

Answer #6    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: Sep 09

Yes. I understand that. The site  was created while the use had just "User Personal Features" rights. They have since been upgraded to "Create Personal Site" but continue to have limited  MySite capabilities. In the past, I've just deleted the current  site and had the user recreate the site with the new rights. I was hoping there was a better solution out there.

Answer #7    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Sep 09

I just tested it and when the rights get upgraded, the end user’s My site  increased in functionality (Doc libraries, my pics, create list, etc became available).

Do you have Shared Services enabled? Is it possible there are rights somewhere still set to disallow “Create personal site” that is stopping the users from being able to create a My Site? Permissions can also be controlled in central SharePoint admin that will override anything you set at the site level. Have you checked those out?

Answer #8    Answered By: Irvin Foley     Answered On: Sep 09

After reading this post and further discussion with the customer, the situation has been resolved. As Heather pointed out, the change in rights did in fact grant increased collaborative functionality. My customer confused the missing "Modify My Page" link to not having the collaborative functions.

I granted Add/Remove Personal Web Parts and Update Personal Web Parts rights to the Reader - Full MySite site  group. Change provides associates with a "Modify Page" link on their MySite and on those sites  where they are members of the Administrators local site group.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Upgrading Limited My Sites Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: