Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Understanding Web Part Galleries

Asked By: Marcella    Date: May 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1001

Can someone help me understand why some web parts appear in the portal gallery and others do not?

I’ve added the dwp’s for some custom web parts to the web part gallery in the portal. They show up for administrators, but they do not show up for users with lesser permissions. Other OOTB web parts that do not show up for those users are the Content Editor Web Part, the Area Detail web part, Area Contents, Grouped Listings and several others. It looks like the only ones that show up are the ListView web parts – one for each corresponding list/library that is in the area.

So what thing or things controls which web parts are displayed? Portal security settings, area security settings, c-sharp code within the web parts themselves, or settings on the DWP’s in the web part gallery?

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Hans Weiss     Answered On: May 22

Have you checked out the gallery  permissions?

I had that issue and blogged about it here: heathersolomon.com/.../401.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: May 22

I thought that Heather would be all over this one.

Check out the permissions  one the Web Part Gallery (essentially a
glorified Document Library) in the Home Area. By default, Readers and
Contributors can see Web Parts, and Web Designers and Administrators can
update/insert Web Parts. No other Site Groups have rights and people
without Home Area access cannot see them.

Answer #3    Answered By: Freddy Heath     Answered On: May 22

It was likely an issue with the permissions  on the web  part gallery  list not inheriting from the portal. It turns out that they were not in fact inheriting. I am awaiting confirmation from the user who had the issue that he can now see the appropriate web parts  in the gallery, but I am pretty sure that this was the cause.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Understanding Web Part Galleries Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: