Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Unable to open an odc file from a sharepoint site

Asked By: Damaris    Date: Aug 17    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2865

I exported an odc file from excel to a sharepoint data connections web part (Always attempt to use this file to refresh data as checked in the Data Connection Wizard). I then navigated to the sharepoint site and clicled on the .odc file listed. After enabling the data connection in Excel i got the following message:

Excel was unable to get necessary information about this cube. The cube might have been reorganizard or changed on the server. Contact the OLAP cube administrator and if necessary set up a new data source to connect to the cube.

Now ,i know the cube is not the problem because after exporting the connection i saved the workbook locally ,which i can use to connect to the cube and create pivot tables with no issues; only when i click on the odc listed on the sharepoint site i get the error in excel.

Any ideas?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Karrie Wooten     Answered On: Aug 17

Check that the account that runs the SharedService Provider on your MOSS farm has read access to the cube. Unless you have Kerberos configured on your farm, then the end user account info is not passed through -- so the authenticating account is the account that runs the excel  service, in this case, the shared service provider account.

If your security requirements want pass through authentication (Kerberos), then here is a useful post for some background info: www.tonstegeman.com/.../Post.aspx?ID=46

Another good reference:
blogs.msdn.com/.../...ess-with-excel-services.aspx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Unable to open an odc file from a sharepoint site Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: