Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Unable to check in new documents

Asked By: Madison    Date: Feb 12    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 11158

For a couple of days ago the Create New Document function started to act strange. When creating a new document from a doc lib and trying to save, it becomes checked out, even if the require check-out is not enabled. Well, if I try to check in it, I get a prompt that it is not possible since the document is not checked out or has been deleted. The document is though visible in the doc lib, but checked out. If i instead try to discard the check-out I get an error message that I need to fill in all required propertis before checking in it (even if there are no requred columns in the doc lib).

When I try to ignore the check-out I get a prompt telling me that I can't ignore it because there are no checked-in version of the doc.

If I upload an existing doc to the librabry, it works as expected (checked in).

It is a WSS 3.0 with SP1, Swedish version, and Office 2007, Swedish version.

(Because of the Swedish version I can't quote the error messages in English...)

This problems suddenly occured in the whole WSS Site Collection, no matter what settings the different doc libs have. It occured a couple of days ago, with no logic reason why. All of these doc libs worked perfectly before this problem occured.

Hope that my explanation makes sense and that somebody could bring some light over the problem.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Ivy Salinas     Answered On: Feb 12

Well, I found the problem. For some reason the Site Column Title was set to Required, and even if the document  Library Column was not set to Required the system didn't accept the document unelss the Title was specified. The error  messages did not indicate this. When I tried to update the Site Column under Column setting I got an error message, but if I used the link Edit Web Site Column In New Window and edited the information there, it worked fine. Probelm solved!

And again, since the environment is Swedish I might not have used exaclty the correct English names in this text.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Unable to check in new documents Or get search suggestion and latest updates.