Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Tired of all the wasted space - 2nd request

Asked By: Bob    Date: Feb 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 607

This is just a repost of an earlier request to which I never received any sort of reply. Just wondering if anyone might have any ideas

First message in the group, and fairly new to Sharepoint (although compared to 2 months ago I’m a wiz), so I hope it’s one that hasn’t been asked and doesn’t sound too ridiculous.

Scenario – Migration from one set of servers to another

Action – Cleaning up files

Problem – WOW! Way too many duplicated documents

Result – Waste of more than 80GB (and then I stopped keeping track)

Question – Is there any way to get, figure maybe via SQL, Sharepoint to check on file uploads whether a file exists and then, probably via VB or somesuch, get it to prompt the user that the file already exists and would the user prefer to just link to the file already in existence? A lot of times Users just don’t know, maybe this would save time, bandwidth and space.

I know that space is getting cheaper every day but I just don’t like wasting it either way. Also, the backing up and restoring would be quicker as well as the migration woulnd’t be taking so $$@! Long. Seeing as how all the files are maintained in the DB, at least in our configuration, there must be a way to get this too work but I’m just not good enough with code or queries to figure it out. I’ve toughed out the migration so far, across untrusted domains, from single server setup to clustered web & SQL, so I don’t feel “too” cheesie asking for help.

If my email contains too much humor or is too verbose please excuse and correct me. I will watch it in the future. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning and maybe sharing anything I may know or learn along the way.

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Percy Beach     Answered On: Feb 22

First thing you need to decide is what is going to determine if a file is a duplicate. Same checksum, date, filename, folder location in doc library, etc.

Actually going into the database where the content is stored is possible, but not recommended. It would be VERY easy to fubar your content with the wrong SQL statement or procedure.

Your best bet would be to work with the Object model in Sharepoint, and crawl the document libraries, checking the files in the libraries for duplicates. You would then have a list of what files are duplicated, and you can then decide what to do with the duplicate files. i.e. in place of a duplicate file, insert a html document that shows the link to the library were the single copy of the file is left. One problem with that is that it leaves these little 'link' files all over the place and it does clean up the space, but not the scattered arrangement of the files. And without something in place or educating the users, they could end up saving the files once again in duplicate locations.

Answer #2    Answered By: Mary Adams     Answered On: Feb 22

Your repost  is called a bump...

The code solution to accomplish what you are asking would be extensive.
I don't know of any commercial solution that provides the feature set
you are asking for.

I would think that a structured organization dictating where specific
documents are stored that end users are trained how to use would fend
off the vast majority of document duplication.

Just my two cents,

Answer #3    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Feb 22

Just wondering if you have ever worked as a tech
support or in a Helpdesk environment. The origanization we have is a
worldwide one, mutlitiered,multicultered and diversified like no other. The
users range the whole spectrum of knowledge or lack there of. I've worked
many years as support and trainer and all I can say is you can try and try
and try but some just never learn. Plus, the worst culprits are usually the
ones in charge. Oh well, guess I'll just have to figure out some other way
(although I am in the process of creating a few How To's and How To Nots
since you are right about the training never being enough) of maintaining
some modicum of order. One thing I am trying to enforce is the blocking of
personal sites. A large quantity of the duplication is there.

Answer #4    Answered By: Alyssa Butler     Answered On: Feb 22

Duplication will never go away, regardless of the technology employed,
IMHO. It's human nature to want more than one copy.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Tired of all the wasted space - 2nd request Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: