Sharepoint 2010 Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint 2010       RSS Feeds

Syncing SP with Outlook over the internet

Asked By: Michael    Date: Apr 24    Category: Sharepoint 2010    Views: 10758

Im currnetly configuring SP to run over the internet. Its just in design stage right now.

I have got it working fine, using Windows Authetication. (is that okay?)
and the emails download. However every time i start outlook it asks me for a username/password. I click sasve password. but it continue to ask.
Shoudl i be using a different authentication?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Carsten Winsnes     Answered On: Apr 27

Windows Auth is usually the preferred method of authentication. The prompting will occur on any SP site over the internet. I have never seen the Save Credentials box actually work.

If the SP site is moved internally and accessed using Active Directory credentials then the prompting will stop, if the client is using the same Active Directory setup. (e.g. user logs in to their computer with their domain credentials)

There may be other ways to suppress the prompting with single sign-on, but moving internally (access via VPN or other sources), is one way to prevent the prompting.

Answer #2    Answered By: Joel Johnson     Answered On: Apr 29

There is no way that I have found either, and I agree with Carsten. You may be able to use the browser to save the credentials, but that doesn't always work either.

I have a client for whom I set up a set of calendars for conference scheduling, and I told her to have each of her users log into their calendar and do a "Connect to Outlook". She decided to perform that action on a bunch of her users' calendars without asking me. She couldn't figure out why, when firing up Outlook, that she got prompted 14 times for a password. Well, she had 14 other users' calendars synced to her Outlook.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Syncing SP with Outlook over the internet Or get search suggestion and latest updates.