Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Synatx for restoring SPS with default template only

Asked By: Alyssa    Date: Jun 12    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 907

I want to move the current environment over to another farm, but
instead of copying a lot of customized templates over, I want to
restore everything using only the default SPS templates.

So, in short, I want to rid myself of the customized templates and
move all the areas and content to a new server, using one set of
templates. Is there a command/parameter to specify which template to
use when restoring SPS sites?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Donta Kirkland     Answered On: Jun 12

I think you may run into some problems with the sites  being broken because they do not have a template  to reference if you were to try and restore to default  templates. Where the problem lies is underneath the hood each site references a site definition (aka template) and if that template is not present you will get an error in which I have run into myself. For example have you ever saved a site template from a customized  site definition then tried to restore to a different environment  that did not have that custom site definition in the system files (60 HIVE)? This in general is the same concept on what will happen if you try to restore your customized templates  to use the default template. When sites are created they reference that site definitions ONET.XML and SCHEMA.XML definitions and without them the site will break.

I am not familiar with a parameter that you can use to choose what site definition (template) to use when restoring  sites (STSADM) or entire portals (SPSBACKUP.exe). Maybe someone else has done this before in which I would be very interested to see how they did it myself.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Synatx for restoring SPS with default template only Or get search suggestion and latest updates.