Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

How to sum a column in a Pie Chart - SSRS + SharePoint List

Asked By: Anil    Date: Oct 31    Category: MOSS    Views: 4425

I have SRSS Configured with MOSS 2007, and I'm in Visual Studio creating Data Sources and Reports.

I want to create a Pie Chart of a certain Custom List. I have an XML DataSource to the http://[server name]/[optional site name]/_vti_bin/lists.asmx, and the listName={GUID} and the viewName={GUID} Defined.

I get back a table of every item in the list, but here's the issue.

Column1 Column2 Column3
Task Hours Department

ABC 1.5 MIS
DEF 1.3 MIS
GHI 1.7 IT
JKL 2.9 IT
MNO 1.0 ENG
PQR 1.0 ENG

I want a PIE CHART that will represent 3 sections with the chunk being derived from the summation of all 'Hours' Spent on each Department.
So, the MIS Chunk will represent the value of 2.8, IT would be 4.6, and ENG would be 2.0.

I tried doing the =sum(Fields!ows_Minutes_Spent.Value) for the expression, but I received an error:

Aggregate functions cannot be used in group expression

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Debbie Snow     Answered On: Oct 31

Minutes_Spent is not a numeric field now in the report dataset. Is it not possible to explicitly convert that in the query while extracting the data? Another alternative is to add a derived field in the report dataset, say Hours_Spent_Numeric, which will be based on Hours_Spent column  and convert it to numeric field. Then sum(Fields!Hours_Spent_Numeric.value) in data fields area should work.

Tagged: