Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Asked By: Mathew    Date: Apr 15    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2454

I need to show my ignorance here and ask this group for some assistance. I am just getting started in SharePoint technology from a Project Manager perspective. Can someone set me straight on the differences between SharePoint Team Services (STS), Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) and SharePoint Portal Server (SPS 2001 vs. SPS 2003)?

Any links, sites, personal explanations would be greatly appreciated.

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Darrell Peters     Answered On: Apr 15

I believe the STS was renamed WSS and is the free component of SharePoint. SPS is the aggregation tool that is built upon the WSS technology. SPS 2001 was first, followed by 2003 which is more integrated with MS Office suite.

This is a simplistic explanation, but I hope it helps.

Answer #2    Answered By: Lester Casey     Answered On: Apr 15

About the only similarity between portal  2001 and portal 2003 is the name and some of the search components.

From a very broad perspective, WSS is the collaboration engine for the SharePoint package and SPS is the aggregation/audience targeting/search & indexing/ taxonomy engine for the other part of the SharePoint package.

You can run WSS without SPS but SPS requires WSS. WSS is free. SPS is not.

Answer #3    Answered By: Rudy Francis     Answered On: Apr 15

Checkout the following two whitepapers we wrote for the sharepoint  product group:

Microsoft SharePoint 2003 Products and Technologies: Technical Overview

Migrating from SharePoint Team Services and SharePoint Portal Server 2001 to Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies

The links can be found here: http://www.parallelspace.net/sharepoint/

Answer #4    Answered By: James Miller     Answered On: Apr 15

No, the current MS SharePoint 2003 migration white paper doesn't cover SPOUT and SPIN.

... but we are working to complete a second SPS 2003 "Advanced Migration" white paper that will cover 5 advanced migration scenarios and touch on SPOUT and SPIN.

The best documentation for the Document Library Migration Tools is a ~12 page HTML "help" file that installs with the tools that describes several specific SPOUT/SPIN migration scenarios, reference information, FAQs, known problems, etc.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on STS, WSS and SPS Or get search suggestion and latest updates.