Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Storing Project files on SharePoint Sites

Asked By: Katie    Date: Jan 31    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2261

A colleague put a couple of MS Project 2003 files in a document library on a SharePoint 2003 site here and then found when someone tried to open them that they received the error
“Project does not support resource pooling on a web server”

They asked me about it and I found a KB article (242627) saying that MS Project files wouldn’t work like this and suggesting a couple of workarounds which were that the MS Project files should be either stored locally or on a network drive mapped to a drive letter. That seemed a bit surprising to me but nevertheless I passed the message back. Imagine my surprise then when they said “but it sometimes works” and they then pointed me to another site on the same SharePoint server with an MS Project file and it worked fine.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why MS Project would work in some cases but not in others and is there anything I can tell them to do that will allow MS Project files to be loaded onto a SharePoint site?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Tejaswani Barve     Answered On: Jan 31

Perhaps the virtual server needs to run in it’s own application pool?

Answer #2    Answered By: Harshita Padwal     Answered On: Jan 31

I wondered about that although Microsoft say it won’t work at all. If it were not for the project  files that do work I would have left it at that. After I e-mailed my query I started to wonder if the ones that work are actually Project 2000 and the ones that don’t work are Project 2003. Sadly the authors can’t remember now. I haven’t tried yet as I don’t have a copy of Project 2000 anymore but I will give that a go and see what happens. The thing is they are all on the same SharePoint server so I guess they are all using the same app pool.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Storing Project files on SharePoint Sites Or get search suggestion and latest updates.