MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

SSRS for SharePoint Best Practices

Asked By: Susana    Date: Dec 20    Category: MOSS    Views: 1213

I need some advice about SSRS for MOSS 2007. We are using SQL Server 2005 for database server. I usually build my reports in BIDS 2005 and then publish them to a SharePoint document library. I've been asked if this is the best way to display and use reports. I know another option could be Dashboard web parts. Is there any benefit to using this web part instead of publishing to a document library?

We also have a contractor DBA who is most familiar with SQL Server 2000, he has suggested that we use Reporting Services Portal. Is this also available in SQL Server 2005?

Can someone point me in the right direction? My supervisor wants to make sure that we are using SSRS in the suggested and and most productive fashion.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Rosanna Parrish     Answered On: Dec 20

Here is a good post from Microsoft sharepoint  Team Blog as following:

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalash Karmakar     Answered On: Dec 20

Using SSRS in integrated mode is definitely a good suggestion and that provides you the ability to leverage SharePoints security and versioning capabilities. If you have the Enterprise edition and CALs of MOSS 2007 you can look at using PerformancePoint server.

With MOSS 2007 there is a Report Center site that you can setup but that is part of the Business Intelligence features which is part of Enterprise edition - Introduction to Business Intelligence features.

Here are a couple of other references that might help you out:

* Microsoft Business Intelligence overview
Plan for business intelligence

Moving to SQL Server 2008 would be your next step. That will enable you to leverage Report Builder 2.0 and the ClickOnce option within SharePoint so that end-users can create their own reports without having to use BIDS. RB 2.0 is leaps and bounds improved over RB 1.0. Just an FYI, SQL Server 2008 R2 will be coming out in May 2010.

Answer #3    Answered By: Mauricio Tanner     Answered On: Dec 20

Yeah, I have the same issue. There is an issue/bug with the Live login. In order to be able to view the links on http://office.microsoft.com you need to sign-out of the Microsoft forums. Once you have done this the links in the thread will work. I apologize for that, but it is a bug and obviously Microsoft is not aware of this yet. I am not sure who needs to be notified about this issue.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SSRS for SharePoint Best Practices Or get search suggestion and latest updates.