Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SQL Backups and Restore

Asked By: Sanchay    Date: May 20    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 5416

I have a question. We have been running around in circles on this and Microsoft is not giving us straight answers.

Here is the situation. We are using SQL as a backup solution for our SharePoint web farm. We want to be backup our production data and restore those databases to our Development environment. They are using the same databases names so that is not the problem. What we are finding is that after we do a backup we run reports to get the number of sites and sub webs so that we have a way to check the accuracy of the data. After the backups are complete we run a restore to the other SQL database. When we run the reports on those databases we get some discrepancies.

Before when we where using CommVault to do a backup and restore, before I did the restore I had to stop the SharePoint services.

Can I restore the SQL databases from production to development still up and running or do I need to delete the portal and restore it every time? Or can I restore the portal without deleting the portal and just stop and restart the SharePoint environments? The configuration database is not being backed up or restored so will this be recreated without the portal being deleted or is it only rebuilt after the portal is deleted.

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: May 20

Have you had any luck with this problem? My current project has brought up some of the same questions, and I still don’t have an exact answer. We use Radia (similar to SMS) to package and distribute out solutions from a development  environment to a production  environment. I have argued that this is not a good idea, but it’s a losing battle, so I go back to my research. Yesterday, I used SPSUtil, and did a successful backup, and restore  to a new domain. But I don’t know if this will work with SPS. From all of the information that I could find so far, it seems like you can just backup  and restore the SQL database, and then use the SPutil to move the sites. I’m hoping some of the more knowledgeable individual on this board will lend a hand.

Answer #2    Answered By: Victoria Bell     Answered On: May 20

The problem  you are getting into is that top site collections are kept in the Configuration database. Restoring the content database  directly will only work if you have not created new “Top site collection”.

The correct procedure is to either

- Use the Backup/Restore utility provided with Sharepoint Portal, granted you delete  your development  portal and restore  it

- If you only want to use SQL Backup/Restore the correct procedure is

o Delete the portal  using the Central Admin UI

o Restore the databases  SITE, PROF, SERV

o Create a new portal using Central Admin and select Restore Portal, key in all the database name

Let me know if you need more information

Answer #3    Answered By: Cassidy Sharpe     Answered On: May 20

SPSUtil will not work with Sharepoint Portal but only with WSS

Check my response earlier

Answer #4    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: May 20

You have some options when backing up and restoring with SPS. The
best practice from microsoft  is to use the SPSbackup.exe (backup and
restore utility that comes with SPS 2003). When backing up a portal
using SPSbackup.exe you get a full fidelity backup  which means all of
your data  will be backed up. You still must backup all custom web
parts and site definition. What I usually do is backup the 60 folder
and the IIS metabase.

When using the SPSbackup.exe utility sharepoint  is actually backing
up the databases  in the background and compressing them into a .SPB

Here is a great article on disaster recovery for SPS/WSS using the
various methods that are supported by MS.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SQL Backups and Restore Or get search suggestion and latest updates.