Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SPS Managing Unused Web Sites

Asked By: Israel    Date: Aug 02    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2087

Can someone direct me to a good document that details how to establish administrative options in WSS sending notices to site owners requesting status if their sites are still in use.

I am finding I have several team sites I that were established for testing or older projects that I can clean up. If I understand this option correctly I can establish parameters to manually delete unused sites and get out of this business.

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Victor Hughes     Answered On: Aug 02

Go to Windows SharePoint Services Central Administration. Click on "Configure virtual server settings". Click on the server entry. Click on "Configure site  collection use confirmation and deletion".

You can now turn on the sending  of email notifications and, optionally, deletion of the sites.

One thing you should note: the notifications are sent regardless of whether or not sites  are being used. SharePoint doesn't actually track that sites are being used. So, what happens is that (by default) 90 days after a site collection is created, the creator gets an email. If they confirm that the collection is being used, the clock gets reset to another 90 days.

If you've turned on automatic site deletion, after N notices (default 4) of non confirmation, the system will automatically delete  the collection.

Another important note: this only works on collections - i.e. first level sites and all the sites beneath them. It does NOT work on sub-sites. So, for example, supposing you've created a site with a url of http://sharepoint/sites/fred and you then create a sub-site of /sites/fred/jim. You will only be asked if fred is being used - not jim.

Answer #2    Answered By: Gordon Blair     Answered On: Aug 02

It looks like you've already received some good  information about
the automated mechanism for unused  site deletion from Philip. The
important issue he raised is the reason we decided we didn't want to
use the automated method ourselves and have opted for a more manual

I have a query to find sites  not accessed since X date that I run
periodically. As part of the query, I generate a link directly to
the site  deletion page for easy processing. 'Delete site' from
here, though, won't work if there are subsites to the one you are
trying to delete, but that's good information to know. You don't
want to delete  a static parent site if the child sites are active
and vibrant.

I don't know how to do query parameters  to prompt for values when
the query is run, so the values to manipulate in the SQL include:

'http://www.portalname.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.portalname.com/' - replace this with the URL for your
own portal instance

'2004-01-01 00:00:00' - change this to be the date you'd like to
search against.

SELECT FullUrl, DATEADD(d, DayLastAccessed + 65536, CONVERT
(datetime, '1/1/1899', 101)) AS [Day Last Accessed],
'http://www.portalname.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.portalname.com/' + FullUrl
+ '/_layouts/1033/deleteweb.aspx' AS [Delete Link]
FROM dbo.Webs
WHERE (DATEADD(d, DayLastAccessed + 65536, CONVERT
(datetime, '1/1/1899', 101)) < CONVERT(DATETIME, '2004-01-01
00:00:00', 102))

I also do a variation periodically to look for sites where the
FullURL includes the word 'test.' When I do that one, I also
include the email address of the creator and send the list out to
the people who've created sites with the word 'test' in the URL
asking them to click on the link to delete it if they don't need
it. Last time I sent the report, we were able get users to delete
89 test sites within 3 hours. It didn't require any threats either.

Hope this helps.

Answer #3    Answered By: Barry Burke     Answered On: Aug 02

Thank you for the detail of this response. You'd think that notifications would be sent only if the sites  are not accessed for "x" days. I can see how this would get very annoying after a while.

Thanks again

Answer #4    Answered By: Erick Carlson     Answered On: Aug 02

I call this the “Princes Bride” effect.

There’s about 4 or 5 places in this software where the interface doesn’t mean what you think it means.

The verbiage on this Admin page reminds me of the Spaniard in the Princes Bride who was lifted to the top of the Cliffs of Insanity by the giant, along with the lady in red and the Sicilian. In the movie, the Sicilian would say “inconceivable!” at the wrong time and for the wrong reasons. Finally, after hearing this enough times, the Spaniard looked at the Sicilian and said: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

The interface in Central Administration on this page does not mean what you think it means.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SPS Managing Unused Web Sites Or get search suggestion and latest updates.