Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SPS Lists

Asked By: Sanchay    Date: Jul 25    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 760

I am having approx. 40+ Areas and Sub Areas on our corporate Portal. I had to build a web parts that extracts Events items from any of those 40+ Areas. I am using Sharepoint.Topology to iterate the Areas and all its sub areas. The problem that I am facing that when ever I try to deploy the web part it crashes the portal because of excessive load! I am using recursive for- loop to iterate all the Areas, Sub Areas or even sub sub areas.

Is there any other alternative like writing a straight cut Query instead of looping to get all the Events list items from all 40 to 45 areas?

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Hema Hegde     Answered On: Jul 25

Can you do a nightly crawl and just have your Web Part present the
results of that crawl? Or perhaps, the users could provide the direct
URL as a property of your Web Part for each list that they want to

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Jul 25

thought of that but any Event items  that’s been added on any of the areas  need to be reflected on the web  part immediately. There would be approx. more than 40 + Event list. I am not sure how feasible it would be to give such huge No. of Events List URL on the web part  properties.

Answer #3    Answered By: Megan Martin     Answered On: Jul 25

Can’t DVWP work; there was a webpart Flex List Viewer Webpart which used to able to connect to other lists  in other sites or areas  as well.

Can’t you make sure that in those 40 webparts whenever an event is added to the events  lists in each of those areas it also writes to some data source (but I guess that cant work now, time has passed)

Answer #4    Answered By: Donta Kirkland     Answered On: Jul 25

Only dynamically get the items  that were modified (created) since the
last crawl?

Also, the actual crawl of 40 areas  for lists  of type "Events" should be
faster than it sounds like it is. Are you only iterating until you find
the Event list, skipping all the rest? Are you only iterating the items
that have changed using a CAML query?

Answer #5    Answered By: Cade Velazquez     Answered On: Jul 25

I am not sure if Flex List Viewer Web part  that do that.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SPS Lists Or get search suggestion and latest updates.