Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Splitting Document Library (Without Breaking Links)

Asked By: Marilyn    Date: Aug 21    Category: MOSS    Views: 1298

I currently have a number of document libraries with various file types, including xls, doc, pdf etc.

These libraries currently host files numbered into the 10,000's. I have been informed by my IT group that I need to limit each library to 2000 or less files.

Currently I am liking to these files from within an equal number of various files in other libraries that I fear would not be updated via the SP move function. Are there any known methods of capturing the from and two (From the move) so users accessing the old document links will be seamlessly redirected to the correct location?

This is an out of the box MOSS 2007 setup with highly limited back end customization, however any advice is appreciated.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Roxanna Hendricks     Answered On: Aug 21

We did some tests as you mention. I was hoping to find a tool that would track the document  locations and either update the links  within corresponding documents.

In the end we developed a script to archive both the linked items and the source document at the same time. This process allowed for the files  to be archived and synched and provided a solution that can run as often as daily to keep the site in a healthy state.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Splitting Document Library (Without Breaking Links) Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: