Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint 2010 Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint 2010       RSS Feeds

SP 2010 reusable workflow with email link to document

Asked By: Sue    Date: Mar 07    Category: Sharepoint 2010    Views: 12757

I have a reusable workflow created in SPD 2010. The workflow is generating an email that has a link to a document in a document library. The file name of the document contains spaces (e.g. my docment.docx). When I click on the link in the email to the document on a PC with IE7, the URL is encoded and the spaces replaced with %20. The document is displayed correctly. When I click on the link in the email to the document on a PC with IE8, the spaces are removed from the URL instead of it being encoded and a 404 error is displayed in the browser because the document cannot be found.

I’ve narrowed down what I believe is causing this to happen but still need help with a solution.
In the reusable workflow, when I try to add the current item URL to the email the Data Source – Current Item does not have a Field called Encoded Absolute URL like it does for List workflows. Because of this I used Workflow Context as the Data Source and Current Item URL as the Field to add the URL to the email. SP does not encode Workflow Context - Current Item URL. Therefore, displaying the document from the email in IE8 fails.

I have several questions.
Is Workflow Context – Current Item URL the correct field to use in this situation?
If Workflow Context – Current Item URL is the correct field, how can I encode it in SPD?
Is there a way to force IE8 to encode the URL?

I’m not a developer so I’d like to be able to resolve this issue without modifying the workflow in Visual Studio.

Share: 

No Answers Found. Be the First, To Post Answer.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SP 2010 reusable workflow with email link to document Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: