Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Smigrate error

Asked By: Keon    Date: Oct 20    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 828

I am able to backup the site at portal A, but cant able to restore it to portal B. plz advice.

I am just saving a single site and migrating it to another portal, not a complete portal.

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Marty Mcdowell     Answered On: Oct 20

You can’t use smigrate  to backup  and restore  portals. You can only use spsbackup.exe.

You can’t do this using smigrate.exe. smigrate.exe only works on WSS sites, not portal  sites.

Answer #2    Answered By: Dakota Shaffer     Answered On: Oct 20

Yes right, I was just trying if that works, infact at first place I wanted to backup  the portal  and needs to restore  it on a new server. But the builtin utility of SPP is giving me real problems. I am able to take the backup, but the restore just doesn’t work in an case, I don’t know what I am missing in it. I am also viewing ur demo u have given last month (downloaded from Microsoft Website, SPP Backup and restore). But still no luck

So what i have done is, that I have created a new portal, and manually copied all the docs/file to the sites one by one. It’s a longer exercise but I have completed it, just yesterday (though I have lost couple of things, like metadata and versioning). Now the only thing left with the old portal is mysite. Many users have created their mysites and wanted to get the backup done by us, an do not want to copy the manual way which I did for all other sites. I am going to try SPSbackup today.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Smigrate error Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: