MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

SMIGRATE in 2007

Asked By: Carolyn    Date: Apr 10    Category: MOSS    Views: 1106

I'm trying to move a 2007 site from a virtual machine running SharePoint 2007 to a live server running SharePoint 2007. I'm running into the following issues with the various things I've tried:

· SMIGRATE – Seems to be removed from 2007

· STSADM – I saved the virtual machine site as a template. When I run STSADM –Addtemplate, I can register the template, and the site appears in my list, but I get an error message that says “Windows SharePoint Services version 2 templates are not supported in this version of the product” (yes, it says “version 2”)

· Site Template Gallery – I tried uploading the .stp file from the second option to the site template gallery in a top-level site on the live server. But when I went to create a sub-site, the template is not listed as an option in the “Select a template” section.

Does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with this? Or is it too early in the beta cycle, and I just need to copy all of the content over manually?

9 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Apr 10

The STSADM equivalent of SMIGRATE in WSS v3 is STSADM -export. You should be
able to export from one box and import back to the new one, as long as they are
both running the same version of WSS.

Answer #2    Answered By: Sheena Ray     Answered On: Apr 10

I was able to export without a problem. When I imported, I
got an error saying, "Could not find Feature News". When looking at the
STSADM documentation, I'm getting confused about how the Import works.
Does it import all of the content on top of an already-provisioned site
with or with out a template selected?

Answer #3    Answered By: Jaime Weaver     Answered On: Apr 10

I haven't messed with the v3 STSADM much but I know in v2 STSADM would only
restore to an empty space. If there was content there it would fail.

Answer #4    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Apr 10

After creating the top-level site, close the browser before selecting a template.

Then run the smigrate  import.

Answer #5    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Apr 10

If you’re at the command line already, you can also use STSADM to create the site collection. Either way works fine.

Answer #6    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Apr 10

I think you all touched on what my issue is. I'm trying to migrate a sub-site and not a top-level site. Is Import intended only for top-level sites/site collections?

With V2, I would use SMigrate to move a sub-site around. Is there an equivalent for sub-sites in v3?

Answer #7    Answered By: Alexandra Patterson     Answered On: Apr 10

I don’t think that there is a equivalent to smigrate  in 2007 but stsadm has 2 new options –import and –export which seems to be equivalent to smigrate.

Answer #8    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Apr 10

You’re correct. There is no “smigrate.exe” in v3. Those functions are –export and –import in STSADM. I’ve played with them a little, no real surprises.

Answer #9    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Apr 10

The only challenge I see is that smigrate  allowed us to import/export between different version of SharePoint, i.e. STS 1 to WSS 2 for instance.

Has anybody tried to migrate a single team site from WSS v2 to WSS v3 using a combination of smigrate / stsam –import.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SMIGRATE in 2007 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.