Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Slide Content Type and Slide Library

Asked By: Kiara    Date: Jun 27    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3404

Use Case:

I want to use the slide library as a centralized place for all of our approved corporate slides. I want to categorize the slides based on content type and save different metadata for each category. I'd then build some searches based on category and the columns that I add.

I cannot find a way to use the Slide Content Type as a parent when creating new content types. No problem, I thought, so I created multiple content types using document as the parent. But when I uploaded slides to the library, they defaulted to the Slide content type, and that content type does not allow you to change to other content types.

So I then changed the default on the library to use one of the types that I created. Great, I was able to upload the slides, and change the content type to whatever I wanted. But doing that, I lost the nice thumbnail view that you are given as part of the Slide content type. And of course, Thumbnail is not a column you can add through the UI. Uggh.

So in summary, I have 3 problems:

1) I can't figure out how to use the Slide content type as a parent.

2) When using the Slide content type, you are not allowed to change content types.

3) I can't get the Thumbail view on content types that don't have Slide as a parent

Has anyone else wanted to use the slide library at an enterprise level instead of for a small team? How are you doing it? Has anyone overcame these issues?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Amanda Lewis     Answered On: Jun 27

I did a little digging through the 12 hive and found that the slide  content type  is defined at the feature level, so trying to access that from the site or site collection level  is not going to work.

You may be able to take the current Slide Library feature and modify it to suit your needs, but I don't know if there are any copyright problems  you may run into going that route. The same could be said for taking the slide content  type definition and creating  a feature that implements that at a site or site collection level.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Slide Content Type and Slide Library Or get search suggestion and latest updates.