Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Site usage reporting

Asked By: Allan    Date: Dec 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1233

The site usage reports in SharePoint are very minimal. Has anyone done any analysis using the IIS logs? My users want more details for example on what kind of hits we have in the News area for specific articles. How is this encoded in the log? There is a call to txtlstvw.aspx but it's hard to tell what the article id is (and where would one look it up in the database). Any insight is appreciated.

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Gordon Blair     Answered On: Dec 13

We are tryong to generate log  files from C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\STS\3865DCE1-7201-4646-9F86-EA9981EEEDE0\Fname\00.log

Where 3865DCE1-7201-4646-9F86-EA9981EEEDE0 is the site  id and Fname is the date of the files when log was generated 00.log contains the log for that day.

Answer #2    Answered By: Barry Burke     Answered On: Dec 13

Please let me know how you are reading the Log files

I tried the same thing but my sub ares start disappearing when i try to decrypt it.

Looks like i am not doing it the right way.

Answer #3    Answered By: Erick Carlson     Answered On: Dec 13

I'm reading the logs  ok, just need more info on parsing the individual log  records. Some records include the path information to a site, which I can read ok. The log record when you view a news  item for example, is hard  to tell which news article  it's pointing to (it just shows a hit to txtlstvw.aspx). I'm wondering if there is a pointer in that record (seems to be some binary data that I'm not sure about).

Answer #4    Answered By: Rashad Huff     Answered On: Dec 13

Is there a way to do a join between two tables when I am using data view web parts to display them? I would like to be able to store things in different tables and then join them together to display the user. Is this possible? I don’t want to do a connected web part, because I don’t want the user to have to select the item to see the associated information? Is there an easy way to do this?

Answer #5    Answered By: Henry Henry     Answered On: Dec 13

I have not seen the issue you mention with areas disappearing just from reading the log  files. We run an open source web log analysis  tool called AWStats on a nightly basis and have not run into any problems as far as the portal server. You may run into a file locking issue if you try to read the current days log (we always run with the previous days log).

We'd like to get more stats down to the item level to view usage  information (ie. specific news  items). For this, we're working on some customized perl scripts of our own. Still haven't figured out how to tie the list item id back into a more readable format for users  to view.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Site usage reporting Or get search suggestion and latest updates.