Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

My Site - "Reset Page Content"

Asked By: Demarco    Date: Aug 14    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2057

We are running SPS 2003 in a test environment right now, and I have a test user who was on his "My Site" page. He went into "Modify My Page" and then clicked "Reset Page Content". As expected, everything was lost - including the Inbox Web Part, Folder Web Part, etc.

My question is, once the content has been reset, is there any way to get it back? From what we can see, even the "Modify My Page" link is gone so we can't just inport those web parts again.

Share: 

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Aug 14

Nope, deleted in WSS v2 means gone. Unless you want to recover
everything from a database backup.

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Aug 14

Would there be any way to disable or remove the "Reset Page Content" link?

Answer #3    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Aug 14

You can setup permissions so that end users cannot customize the page.
Not sure that is what you are asking to do but it may have the same
effect.

Answer #4    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Aug 14

What, on a mysite ?

I thought you couldn’t as everyone was an administrator on their mysite ?

Answer #5    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Aug 14

I believe that she is talking about the My Site" page: private.aspx, not
the Personal site  collection.

Answer #6    Answered By: Royce Orr     Answered On: Aug 14

That is correct - it's "My Site page: private.aspx"

I managed to get the page  contents back. I temporarily made the owner of that MySite an Administrator. I could then access the "Modify My Page" info and insert the Inbox/Calendar web parts again.

Once I set this user back to their original permissions, they could no longer see the "Modify My Page" info, but the Inbox & Calendar web parts were visible again on the page.

Answer #7    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Aug 14

I want to clarify one point from the responses to this post. Resetting the page  content will indeed remove the configured web parts from the page, but shouldn't do anything to the "content" displayed by those web parts. So for example, Assume that the user creates a custom Events list on their mysite and adds it as a WebPart on the page to display the contents. If they reset  the page content  it should only reset the view of the page and remove the web part. The List should still be there. If you re-add it to the page the events in the list will still be there.

In the case of webparts like the Inbox Web Part that content is on the Exchange server anyway and is still there. You would need to add and configure a new Inbox Web Part, but the content should remain.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on My Site - "Reset Page Content" Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: