Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Site definition problem

Asked By: Bob    Date: Jan 25    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 919

I'm creating a new site definition and am having problems. I'm attempting to create a WSS v2 site definition called GISTEST. I copied the WEBTEMP.XML file into a new file called WEBTEMPGISTEST.XML. From there, I assigned a template ID of 10001 and used a configuration ID of 0 for the template entry. I create the site through the administration page, and if I create the site using the standard site templates, everything works fine. If I try to create the site using the GISTEST template, I get the ever helpful message "Cannot complete this operation. Please try again." From that point, any attempt to go back and re-apply a template results in the message "A site template has already been applied to this site. Once a template has been applied, the site must be deleted and recreated in order to apply a different template."

This is driving me nuts and really should be fairly straight-forward. Any help? I've attached the file in question for review as well. Let me know if there is anything that I've missed.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Jan 25

Did you copy the sts folder and name it GISTEST and make it a subfolder of %systemdrive%\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60\TEMPLATE\1033 ?

Answer #2    Answered By: Sheena Ray     Answered On: Jan 25

This may not affect anything, but I noticed that you don’t have a type listed in your configuration tag. Type=”0”

Answer #3    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Jan 25

"Cannot complete this action" generally means that the COM layer thru an
error that wasn't bubbled up thru the .NET API wrapper we know called
the SharePoint API.

Any kind of typo in the XML in your ONET.XML could cause this problem.
Any files that your ONET.XML references that aren't there or have typos
could cause this problem.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Site definition problem Or get search suggestion and latest updates.