Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Single Sign On

Asked By: Tanya    Date: May 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1274

Does anyone have any suggestions on how one could logon to their portal site with their username/password only once and not have to re-enter their password ever again while on the site? I'm looking for a single sign on sort of scenario rather than every time you open a new section of the site or document or whatever you get prompted.

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: May 08

You would use single  sign only when you want to store your
credentials and map them against enterprise applications (portal
based) thus by securing the application and only having to enter the
credentials once. More information on what single sign-on is can be
found here:

However to acheive what you want, you could use Integrated
Authentication in IIS along with SSO so that they will not be
prompted to log in at all. If you do want them to log in, use basic
authentication with SSO but for each application you would be
prompted to log in once. Keep in mind that this is per session. Which
means if you close out the browser you will need to provide the
credentials again.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: May 08

Single Sign On is when you want to logon  once and be able to move between SPS and external applications.

I think you are having this problem due to IE settings at the client system

Go to Tools>Internet Options> Security> Custom Level

Go to the last option and select Automatic Logon with Current Username and Password

Choose OK. This should sort  out your problem.

Answer #3    Answered By: Lacey Daniels     Answered On: May 08

The single  sign on components will not resolve this issue. The username/password prompt relates to IIS authentication. The only way around this is to make sure that the workstation trust the server and cache the credentials, this can be done by making sure that the sharepoint server is part of the local intranet zone

Also you can make sure username/password are cached in your control Panel configuration for this server

The other problem you will have is that everytime an application connects to the portal  (i.e. Word/Excel) to retrieve a document  you will be prompted  to enter credentials. However if you cached your credentials on your workstation it will go thru fine.

Answer #4    Answered By: Megan Martin     Answered On: May 08

What you are looking for is not really single  sign on I think.

For what you are looking for, you need to set the browser options custom level security to 'Automatic logon  with current username and password'
In the browser, Tools, Internet options, Security, local intranet, custom level , scroll down all the way to the last option.
Select the 'Automatic logon with current username and password' option and save . This should fix it.

Answer #5    Answered By: Donta Kirkland     Answered On: May 08

I'm new to Sharepoint portal  and am looking at implementing single-
sign-on for some of our enterprise applications. I've looked at the
Sharepoint Resource Kit and the chapter on single-sign-on but my
question is, when implementing SSO, can you add a link in a web part
that caches the users credentials and then redirects the user into
the application? All the samples and documentation talk about
incorporating pieces of an application into a portal page but don't
talk about using the portal as an entry point into other
application. Also, all of the samples are written in C#, are there
any samples written in VB?

Answer #6    Answered By: Cade Velazquez     Answered On: May 08

Once you have retrieved the Credentials from SSO you can do whatever you like with them. I find caching them is a great idea as it takes a lot less time  to get the credentials from the cache than retrieveing them again. You can use SSO from a portal  WebPart or an another custom application as long as you use the SSO namespace - However, you cannot use a cache that you set at the portal to be used in another application as the Application Cache and WebPart cache do not relate to each other.

If you are just linking from a portal page to another application and want to pass through your SSO credentials I would generally create a WebPart that would retrieve the credentials, save them in a cache (optional), and then redirect the user to the other application with their credentials passed along at the same time. How these credentials get passed along will be determined by how the other application expects to recieve them.

Answer #7    Answered By: Ariana Christensen     Answered On: May 08

I want to use single  sign on feature to show some specific data of Oracle ERP System database to portal  site.

Second I to access yahoo mail and hotmail mail page on portal site  to use single sign  on feature to avoid enter password  each time  I visit portal site to access yahoo or hotmail emails.

I need solution to configure SSO.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Single Sign On Or get search suggestion and latest updates.