Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Silly document permissions question

Asked By: Rishi    Date: Sep 21    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 539

We are working on a document that is published on a SharePoint 2003 portal. There are about fifteen of us working on the document and each of us is assigned to work on a specific area. We have the check-in & check-out feature turned on for this document. The following questions were brought up in one of our meetings and I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure. Here goes:

Can we assign permissions to specific parts of the document so that only certain people can edit that section?
Can we make it so that multiple people can check-out the document at the same time but work only on the areas that they are assigned to work on (e.g., if user1 is working on section1, can user2 work on section2 at the same time but user1a cannot work on section1 and user2a cannot work on section2)?
Can sections of the document be published to other portals (e.g. can section1 of the document be published on team1's site and section2 of the document be published on team2's site)?
Finally, if the answer for items 1 through 3 is no, can multiple documents be pulled together in one document somewhere on the portal?
I know that these all sound like silly questions and I am pretty sure the answer to all four is "no" but I want to do my due diligence on this...

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Meenakshi Khochar     Answered On: Sep 21

As you suspected, the answers are 1) no, 2) no, 3) no, and 4), no. These sound like fantastic collaborative features, but they are not available using built-in functionality in SPS 2003 with (I'm assuming) Word or other Office documents. There may be ways to accomplish something close to what you're envisioning by using a combination of technologies, but within the world of SPS 2003 and Office documents, it isn't "ready-made" to do these tasks.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Silly document permissions question Or get search suggestion and latest updates.