Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Show Online members in Portal

Asked By: Jill    Date: Apr 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1045

How to go about developing a web part that will show only online members in portal(Areas). Right now I can get all the member, but I want to show only online members.
Please suggest.

Share: 

9 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Cory Brooks     Answered On: Apr 07

I am not a developer, but wouldn’t you have to have Live Communication Server installed as a part  of the SharePoint environment in order to be able to pull this off?

Answer #2    Answered By: Ruth George     Answered On: Apr 07

Yes, you are correct, LCS 2005 support people presence, but I was thinking may be this is possible using OM.

Answer #3    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Apr 07

im not a developer either and we didnt see the red-light/green-light status icons until LCS was rolled out. i think Mr. English has wrote some blogs about the integration.

Answer #4    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Apr 07

Yeah I know the icons won’t start working unless you have LCS. Would also think you would need some kind of system in place to be able to recognize who has an open session with the site.

Answer #5    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Apr 07

I’m going to be shot by ms guys, but you actually don’t need lcs for it to function. Change ur email in sharepoint to the one u use to login using ur msn, and you get ur presence information as well.

However, LCS still has its place, since IM in public is a security risk that many corporate cannot take, hence they deploy LCS for secure internal im…

Answer #6    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Apr 07

Actually … You can make it all work without LCS – it’s the same client API as Windows Messenger/MSN Messenger… There are lots of debates about that whole problem but it can be made to work. It does leverage some office 2003 components if necessary and there’s a registry hack to make it work cross organization. The email address must match between SharePoint and what they’re signed into the messenger as. They will need to be logged in MSN/Windows Messenger. The way that this is pulled off is to use client side libraries – so writing a web  part to only show  online people would be … complicated but technically possible.

Answer #7    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Apr 07

Have I mentioned how much I love this group? Overflowing with smart people. Learn something new every day.

Answer #8    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: Apr 07

Technically, all you need is a common IM server with Messenger as the client. But essentially, you are correct.

Answer #9    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Apr 07

I'm going to mention one other approach that doesn't require LCS, MSN,
Office, or any other tool. Not because I know it will work, but because
back in my ASP-classic days we used to use something like OnSessionLoad
and OnSessionUnload in the global.asa (now global.asax) file to keep
track of who was online. It wasn't foolproof but I'll bet there are some
articles on how to do it the old way that could still be used today.
Just a thought...

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Show Online members in Portal Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: