Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Should I use BDC for this?

Asked By: Amie    Date: Mar 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1146

I have a SQL database with some user names I can query from different tables. I need to import this information to a SharePoint list and then use this list for some lookup fields in the future.

The database is constantly changing.

My question is: should I use BDC for this?

I searched online, I can use SQL integrated service for this too.

What is the best way to achieve this?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Lee Dickerson     Answered On: Mar 08

The reason you do not want to use SSIS (Integration Services) is that writing to the SharePoint database  directly leaves you in an unsupported state. When you need to add (import) items to sharepoint  databases you should ALWAYS use the object model or web services.

You stated you need to import  the data not view from another source. If your goal is to view (not import) these user  accounts in SharePoint via web part then the BDC is a good solution.

If you need a onetime import try using Access 2007. Connect to the tables  in SQL and connect to the list  in SharePoint and run an append query. No code needed.

If you need to import over and over you could try using SSIS but instead of loading data to tables send it to the SharePoint lists.asmx web service  or a custom service that uses the object model.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Should I use BDC for this? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: