Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint is there a way to automatically check in document on the initial save?

Asked By: Nakul    Date: Apr 05    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 9727

My company recently depricated a shared drive and we are now using SharePoint. My biggest problem is when users save documents but do not check them in. Office is integrated so if someone saves directly from there, they don't have to worry. Many other times (even when saving multiple outlook attachments) or dragging and dropping into a library opened in windows explorer view, the document needs to be manually checked in. I realize you can do multiple at the same time if you go to "Manage Content and Structure".

Is there a way to automatically check in documents the first time they are saved to a library? There really would be no reason for someone to save without wanting it to be checked in.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Lizette Mcconnell     Answered On: Apr 05

How about the Require check  Out box in the document  Libraries Versioning settings? This will remove the need to check out and check in documents. But the downside would be that two people can then be editing the same document. Although there are warnings in place, it isn't an ideal solution.

The other option would be an event handler. You can set up an Item Added or Updated so that as soon as an Item is added or updated its automatically  checked in. Although I'm not sure about how this works if someone just hits "Save" while they're working on the document. Here's an event handler link:

blogs.msdn.com/.../...ver-moss-event-handlers.aspx