Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint single "document library" vs. "folders"

Asked By: Mohini    Date: May 10    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 6585

The SharePoint developers in my group seem to be going toward creating single document libraries for sites (and putting hundreds of documents of all types, Word, Excel, PDF in each) - and then "virtually" segregating and displaying the documents using custom views and filters - rather than creating individual document library folders for various document types (processes, procedures, policies, for example).

Is there any insight you can provide with respect to response time or any other user-facing impact (or on the system itself) by doing it this way (doc files in a single library) - in favor of using the "folder" scenario?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Dhanraj Saxsena     Answered On: May 10

theoretically the number of document  you can put into a document library  are several millions (if I remember correctly) but per view you should limit it to a maximum of 2000 if you want good performance.
As we don't want a SharePoint document library to be a new version of a classic file share, the documents  will now be differentiated by their content types. I recently did a small test where I wrote a small program to insert 50.000 items in a custom  list. This gave no performance issues when using views  on this list containing less then 2000 items.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint single "document library" vs. "folders" Or get search suggestion and latest updates.