I'm interested in SPS as part of a full-octane KM project. Something
that will get a lot of early user adoption

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Agustin Miranda     Answered On: Jun 13

Out of the box SharePoint Portal can search  upto 250 sources; e.g. file
shares, web servers, etc.

Answer #2    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: Jun 13

You can integrate a Google search  appliance with Portal. Be ready for sticker shock, however. About $100k for 1.5mil documents.

There may be software available to do this also with SPS, but I am not familiar with it. We have purchased the 500,000docs version for about $40k and are testing now.

Answer #3    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: Jun 13

You can deploy SharePoint search  in non SharePoint sites.

Knowledge Management project... out of curiosity, what all were you
looking for it to do? I ask because we have a similar site up and
running and have run into issues.

Answer #4    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: Jun 13

It's not what SP can search, it's HOW that is the problem. There are serious limits on the built in WSS and Portal search  interfaces that make it difficult and non-intuitive for users. They expect something Google-like and they get a search with no wildcards, no Boolean, no "limiting" and limited control of the results that are displayed.

We've done some research on replacement/enhancements for this search, and have found a few. The best I've seen is Ontolica, http://www.ontolica.com/. It does not write over your existing search, so you can go back if you need to, provides all of those Google-like search capabilities and provides options for displaying results more intelligently. It basically unlocks the power of the Index server that sits behind SharePoint, in lieu of replacing it or going around it the way a Google appliance would.

I've seen an extended demo of Ontolica, but we're at a budget crossroads with SharePoint and have not purchased a search replacement. We're also looking at an extension for Veritas, but I have not seen it in action. Good luck in your search for search!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Sharepoint search Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: