Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint Permission

Asked By: Katlyn    Date: Oct 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 774

I have to solve 1 problem using API of dot net. My problem is Suppose there are 10 site collections.

I have to make one landing page for all where i have to check at runtime whether the user who has login is having access to which site collections. So he should see only those site collection as TAB . All others shud nt be visible to him.

Plz help me ... with thise problem

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jerod Carrillo     Answered On: Oct 26

I guess (not 100% sure), using IHttpModule it can be achieved.

1. Override IHttpModule
2. Place it in GAC.
3. Add the entry on the web.config file of that webapplication

Answer #2    Answered By: Hema Pasupuleti     Answered On: Oct 26

i am not sure but audience facility can be used for this purpose , if u r using moss .
learn about audience facilty bing on this .

can save lots of ur time, n let us know weather it solved ur prob or not

Answer #3    Answered By: Candis Kinney     Answered On: Oct 26

I would like to answer for your question. If you are using MOSS 2007 you can easily give permission  to your users by breaking the inherit permission from the Parent Site.

Suppose “My Intranet" is your root site, under this you have created some of the sites i.e. IT, SALES, Marketing, HR, Finance and Customer Service.

Here the IT group user  should not see the content which is available in HR and Finance. And HR group user can view and access  the content in other department sites content.( Hi Correct me if i am wrong-I am posting this solution for Out of Box features of MOSS 2007)

In order to maintain this architecture you need to create a My Intranet as your root Site, under root site  create the sub sites like HR, IT, etc..

Once create go to Site Action>Site Settings> Modify All site settings>User and permission> In Action- user permission-Break the inherit permission from the Parent Site. Then create the custom group as your wish to access the different Department Users.

So that all the users will have read permission of "My intranet' and customized permission of other and own Departmental Site.

Answer #4    Answered By: Cora Bradshaw     Answered On: Oct 26

Bt my problem  is to get it through dot  net API..

Suppose i have 1 site  called HDFC... Its the main site or u can say where user  will have to enter the password before seeing main screen..

Once the user enters he should see only those links which he can access. If he is not member of any site those links should not be visible.

E.g. HDFC is main site..

Under is there are 3 dept.

1. saving
2. Credit card

So now suppose the person who has come has access  rights on credit card. So only Credit Card link should be visible  to him..

N all site collections  are made on different web applications...

Answer #5    Answered By: Shushma Zariwala     Answered On: Oct 26

could you clarify this ? do you have ten different site  collections or do you have one site collection  and 10 sub sites ?

if first case :- you need write a custom navigation user  control(use multiview contro or treeview) / webpart , after the user login  into the first site collection ( main site collection) , you need to check  the current users permission  level of all the site collections  and only show the site collection tabs/ links which the user has rights to access.

second case :- after the user login into the site collection, by default user will not see the subsites tabs (top navigation) or links ( quick launch bar) where user don't have access  rights.

Answer #6    Answered By: Bahadur Kotoky     Answered On: Oct 26

Here is a simple solution..

Create a list with unique permission(break inheritance) which has the site  collection name , url as the columns. Give permission  to each list item separately. i.e each list item represents a sitecollection, give permission to each list item with that users who has access  to the same sitecollection.. add this list in ur landing  page and ur problem  is solved.

Answer #7    Answered By: Jeremey Avery     Answered On: Oct 26

n now if u want to use .NET api. then create a webpart n using CAML query , depending up on the user  , fetch link from that list and display in the webpart

Answer #8    Answered By: Mariel Ferrell     Answered On: Oct 26

but we need to do lot of manual work , say if 50 users newly registers for SC1 and 200 for SC2 ..etc we must ensure to update the list in the landing  page .

This may turn out into tedious process if all the 10 Site collections  are hyperactive with xxx new users registers daily .

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint Permission Or get search suggestion and latest updates.