Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint Extranets - ADAM vs SQL?

Asked By: Kavisha    Date: Sep 24    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 708

I remember reading somewhere that ADAM is the microsoft recommended approach for SharePoint extranets. But I cannot find that article anywhere now. Can anyone help me understand the pros and cons of using SQL vs ADAM for SharePoint extranets? or if ADAM is indeed the MS recommeneded approach for sharepoint extranets?

Also, it will be great if someone can help me understand if there are any advantages of using SQL/ADAM for extranets instead ofWindows (AD) accounts other than saving the license cost associated with the AD accounts?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Luke Davis     Answered On: Sep 24

I don't claim to be an ADAM / AD expert, but I'll tell you my understanding of the pros  and cons:

ADAM is LDAP compliant and can more easily integrate with the profile service in SharePoint (to sync ADAM profile information into SharePoint) (Winner: ADAM)
ADAM has a better built-in UI for managing user accounts. (Winner: ADAM)
ADAM is more complicated to setup that regular SQL based FBA (Winner: SQL)
SQL may be more appropriate for solutions you want to sell or deploy multiple times because the SQL setup can be scripted where-as the ADAM installation would have to be a manually installed pre-requisite. (Winner: SQL - just barely)

Storing accounts  in ADAM keeps your normal AD free of accounts for external users and generally cleaner.
It also lowers security risk to the enterprise because you're separating external users into a separate space. In other words, you don't have to worry about inadvertantly granting access to other resources such as the ability to login to a workstation or access HR applications to external users because of rules based on existing AD assignments.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint Extranets - ADAM vs SQL? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.