Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Sharepoint Document library permissions

Asked By: Carter    Date: Aug 11    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1292

Great to be a part of this forum. Lots of new stuff to learn about.

I have a question regarding document libraries in Sharepoint portal server.

Here is my requirement:
1. Admin should be able to specify users/groups which can create document libraries
2. While creating a document library, the user should be able to spcify permissions on the library like :
which users/groups can view this document library?
which users/groups can add docs to the doc lib?
which users/groups can edit/delete document in the document library?

3. When a document is added the user should be able to specify who can view the document.

Is this possible using SPS? Or can this be satisfied using WSS site and have a link in the portal to the WSS site?

Share: 

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Gregg Wilkinson     Answered On: Aug 11

All of it is possible except #3, specifying who can view  an individual document. SharePoint (portal or WSS) does not allow for item level security, only library  level security.

Given the granularity you specified in #1 and 2, I would recommend a WSS site, as permission handling for document  libraries for a portal  can get cumbersome as you can only control permissions  for the area where the library is located (not the library itself).

Answer #2    Answered By: Darrel Sexton     Answered On: Aug 11

We already have a Sharepoint portal. So, is it a good idea to have a separate WSS site  and link  to it from Sharepoint portal?

If we link the portal  to WSS site, is it possible to make the User interface uniform?
Also, can we create  the WSS site in the same portal site?

Answer #3    Answered By: Tory Sellers     Answered On: Aug 11

We already have a Sharepoint portal. So, is it a good idea to have a separate WSS site  and link  to it from Sharepoint portal?

(HS) It all depends on your taxonomy, your structure of your site and organization. If the library  will be the only thing on the WSS site and you have everything else on a portal, I think the transition between the two could be rather jarring and won’t make sense to the end user  since navigation is different and the page layout differs slightly.

If we link the portal  to WSS site, is it possible to make the User interface uniform?

(HS) To a point. You can brand both a portal and WSS site and the results can be very similar, but portal and WSS use different navigation systems and that will stand out.

Also, can we create  the WSS site in the same portal site?

(HS) I am a little confused what you mean by this, but you can create WSS sites “within” a portal (they are often referred to as Team Sites) in the Sites area. But technically the WSS sites are there own sites, they don’t reside within the portal nor can the portal interface (header, nav, etc) be wrapped around the content of a WSS site and not have the WSS header and nav.

You could potentially use the Web Capture Web Part (www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx) to only show the library from a WSS site in a portal page… but I have not done this personally so I am not sure of the possibility or results.

Answer #4    Answered By: Agustin Miranda     Answered On: Aug 11

We have customized the portal  site by changing the SPS templates(in C:\programfiles\.. folder)
What do u think would be the best of changing the User Interface of wss  Site ?

Answer #5    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: Aug 11

You can make the same customizations to a WSS site  by editing the STS site definition (what you referred to as a template).

Answer #6    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: Aug 11

I will try to look for these templates in the templates directory.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Sharepoint Document library permissions Or get search suggestion and latest updates.