Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint and Disaster Recovery

Asked By: Bridget    Date: Oct 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1284

We are in the process of developing a DR plan for our SharePoint portal. We spoke with Microsoft tech support and we were surprised to hear that they do not support SQL backups for regular day to day backup and restore and that SQL backups should only be used for DR.

What is everyone using for day to day backup and restore? What are you using for your DR solution (We are only interested in Microsoft products so please do not recommend any 3rd party solutions)

I have been reading the DR white paper in the Resource kit? Can you automate the backups using SPSBACKUP. Is anyone using SPSbackup to do nightly fulls and SPBackup to capture incremental during the day?

9 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Joshuah Huber     Answered On: Oct 18

This can a long and involved discussion!
First, design your backup plan  based upon what levels you need to restore.
Spsbackup is for the entire portal, indexes and everything except the config_db which is rebuilt during the restore.
STSAdm is for site collections, so that you can restore  just a site collection if needed.
SMigrate can pull out a particular site and restore it the same or different location.
For a hot site recovery/business continuity plan, you may wish to log ship the databases over to a SQL server at the hot site so that you can restore the portal  and sites quickly.
You will also need to back up the 60 hive, the IIS metabase (use password to make it portable.), and any customized web parts, templates and files.
SPSBackup and STSAdmin can be scheduled with switches. SPSBackups can be designed in the gui and scheduled.
SQL backups  permit the restoration of a database when just that database is needed.
This would be the short, high-level, late-night discussion.

Answer #2    Answered By: Ciara Collier     Answered On: Oct 18

yes, in the resource  kit there is a vb script that does a "dynamic" top level
site backup, works really well. i run this once a day. i also run the portal
backup "spsbackup.exe" (also can be scripted). email me directly for scripts or
just google any of those terms and you will see some options.

in our environment we have a "staging server" to restore  sites/portal backups,
then just use any "sharepoint database explorer" "sharepoint browser" for
document recovery  and smigrate for sub-level wss sites. we just like you,
prefer not to look for 3rd  party software for backup. its not the best but we
are hopeful in v.next

Answer #3    Answered By: Keenan Whitehead     Answered On: Oct 18

yep and all this too! i nearly forgot the files/metabase! we place ours with a
script to a SVN server nightly  via webdav.

i have thought of log shipping but i would prefer to use my standby server for
testing restore  plans of portal/sites.

Answer #4    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Oct 18

but the DB size has gotten large, so we have invested in AvePoint. It backs up to a file, which we then back to tape. If your portal  gets large and you have to provide customer service, you need to find a 3rd  party app. The options are CommVault and AvePoint.

The upside is file-level restoration w/perms and revision history.

The method below (moving in explorer mode from a staging server) loses perms and versioning. That being said, we still back up the DBs for DR.

Answer #5    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Oct 18

i remember a tool that copied bewteen document libraries that maintained version history.. darn i cant remember the name of it!!

Answer #6    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Oct 18

InfoTech has a tool called Trace that does this:

Answer #7    Answered By: Harshita Padwal     Answered On: Oct 18

oh im pretty sure i had one that was free!

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint and Disaster Recovery Or get search suggestion and latest updates.