Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

SharePoint DB crash and Recover SharePoint portal

Asked By: Brandon    Date: Feb 10    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1844

I have some doubts in Restoring the SharePoint portal, please give some ideas for the below scenarios,

SharePoint portal current state:
I have installed SQL 2005 in Server A and SharePoint 2007 in Server B. Due to hardware issue, server A is not working. As a result, I am unable to connect the SharePoint portal web application and SP central administration site, as it is showing the error message as “Cannot connect to the configuration database.”
I would like to activate the SharePoint portal with last successful working state. I have some questions. kindly suggest the solution and please give your alternate ideas for the same

Option 1: Bring up Server A and take a complete backup and restore that into new server( Not sure the server A will be functioning properly, If Yes means)

Step1: Take the complete backup of Configuration, Content and WSS DBs (SQL Server 2005)
Step2: Restore the backup in new DB Server C (SQL server 2008)
Step3: In SP Central Admin site, reconfigure the old DB server(Server A) details into new DB server(Server B)
Question:
1.Is it possible to reconfigure the database in SP Central Admin? If ‘yes’, how to do that?
2.Will the MOSS 2007 site accept the SQL server 2008 content which had been restored from SQL server 2005?

Option 2: Create new SharePoint portal

Step1: Create new configuration Database in new DB Server C (SQL server 2008)
Step2: Create a new SharePoint central admin and web application
Question:
1.Is it possible to restore the Backup into the new system? If yes, how to do that?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Girja Garg     Answered On: Feb 10

In your scenario, you want to move your database to an upgraded database server (SQL Server 2008 instead of SQL Server 2005), so you should move your all databases to a database server that has the same name, the process of moving databases to a new database server includes the following steps:

1. Stop the farm.

2. Detach the databases.

3. Shut down the old database server.

4. Prepare the new database server that has the same name as the old one.

5. Reattach the databases on the new server.

6. Restart the server that is running Central Administration to apply the changes and ensure that the services, Web sites, and application pools that are associated with Office SharePoint Server 2007 are started.

For more information, please refer to: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512725.aspx

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on SharePoint DB crash and Recover SharePoint portal Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: